When I post a rose with a name it’s quite likely it was from a garden, and this is true with this one. This is from one of my many walks to the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden As I’m busy creating my new Lightroom catalogs I find myself totally distracted by the images I have in each folder, and I’m rather surprised with my findings. Some images are so bad I laugh out loud. Others are good enough that I wonder why I didn’t do anything with them. The best part about looking everything over is coming across some that jog my memory. I’ve had some pretty wonderful walks! I look forward to the day when I can go out again.
(You might notice — then again you might not! — the copyright date is 2019. While this was shot in 2015, I only worked on it today: the copyright date is the date the image was completed rather than the day it was shot.)
Home Run Rose, 9.24.15
(also known as flowering quince)
No, I’m not writing about my foot this time! It is, I do believe, improving a lot. I’m not pushing it. I’m also not limping.
I’m currently in the process of redoing my Lightroom set-up. Things were running so slowly on my computer and it was suggested I needed to start a new catalog. Any time I was working on an image I had to wait after each little action. Sometimes I’d have to wait for nearly a minute, which in computer time is, as far as I’m concerned, hours. So I have done a few things to help, including optimizing (yet again: I do that daily!), increasing the cache, and a few other things.
I’d known for some time that I had things set up in a rather crazy way: ALL images were in one huge catalog, so I decided to just dive into the project and have a catalog for each year. This is taking a lot of time, and as Lightroom does its work my computer works horrendously slowly. Typing this, in fact, is taking quite a while.
But once it’s all done I am hopeful that I can again work at a normal speed. I also hope I can figure out just how to compile all my card sets. I won’t go into the issues here, but I can just say it’s confusing at this point, and I think the work is cumbersome. If anyone can tell me though: if I make a duplicate of an image can I put the original in one catalog (the year it was made) and the duplicate in a different one (a “card catalog”?) Do you know?
Ah computers! They simplify. They complicate.
And now have a leaf in the snow. As I am going through images you can imagine I get distracted and have to take time out and work on one!
One Leaf in the Snow, 1.3.13
Tradescantia ‘Purple Sabre, 1.29.18
Some of these images were done quite some time ago and have been waiting to get their goodnight flower moment. Some no longer appeal to me as much as they did when I first made them, while others have improved with time. In some instances (and this is one of them) I think I’d like to go back and rework an image. For now, though it will stand as is: I’m tired and I hear a pillow calling my name.
I tend to confuse geraniums and pelargoniums and I have to look them up frequently. I believe this is the Geranium x magnificum, also called the Purple Cranesbill. Having again looked things up I’m certain it is a Geranium and not a Pelargonium,
Oh, and talk about confusing, get this: the Pelargonium’s common name is geranium, while the Geranium’s common name is cranesbill. Oh … but the Pelargonium also has the common name storksbills … or pelargonium.
Yeah, it leaves me scratching my head!
Purple Geranium (II), 11.20.17
I’m stuck at home: Dan has a delivery coming, but I couldn’t walk even if he didn’t: my foot injury still isn’t allowing me to wear shoes without limping horribly. So home I stay, and more cleaning and photo sorting is taking place, along with oboe work.
In some ways being “grounded” is rather nice!
The photos below are from
one TWO years ago today (clearly I had an issue with what year it is now at first!), and were taken right outside our front door. It had rained, and our calla lily was calling out for attention, so I obliged. I love it when these bloom and I tend to pick a few and put them on our dining room table.
I just looked out the window at our plant. No inflorescence yet, and it apperas that we have fewer stalks as well. I don’t tend them, so I get whatever I get each year.
The plant is interesting; what many call the “flower” is actually the inflorescence. The white part of that is a bract and is called the spathe and the yellow is the spadix. The actual flowers are found on the spadix. And no, the plant isn’t really a lily even while it is called arum lily, trumpet lily or calla lily. It’s Latin name is Zantedeschia aethiopica. Take note: it is poisonous to both humans and animals.
Raindrops on the Calla Lily (I), 1.9.17
Raindrops on the Calla Lily (II), 1.9.17
White Papaver nudicaule, (II) 1.19.18